W. Robert Marshall, 1916–1988
W. Robert Marshall received his B.S. from Illinois Institute of Technology and his Ph.D. in chemical engineering from the University of Wisconsin in 1941, studying under Olaf A. Hougen. After six years at DuPont he returned to UW as associate professor of chemical engineering, where his research focussed on atomization and spray drying.
In 1953 Bob was named director of the Engineering Experiment Station, and in 1971 was appointed dean of the College of Engineering. As dean, he led the college in strengthening its international ties and developed programs to help women and minorities enter the field of engineering. In 1981 he became director of University Industry Research, a program dedicated to the encouragement of cooperative efforts between the university and industry.
Bob's service to the profession was further demonstrated through his commitment to the American Institute of Chemical Engineers as a director and later as its president. He believed in the value of the exchange of information and the cross-fertilization of ideas that professional societies can provide.
Bob Marshall's career spanned more than 40 years of outstanding service to the University of Wisconsin and to the national and international community of scholars.
But most of all, Bob Marshall was mentor, advisor and friend to the many who knew him.